The type of loudspeaker drive unit upon which Lowther's reputation was built, grew from the twin-cone units invented by P.A.G.H. Voigt. Colleagues and two sound- engineers, Rice and Kellog, were simultaneously designing single cone drive units, a pattern which has served for a very long time in meeting listening requirements. However, when the very best possible standards of reproduction were wanted, it was to the twin-cone unit that the experts invariably turned. Oddly enough, patents for both these types of units were lodged within two weeks of each other.
During the mid-1930's, moving-coil loudspeakers, which were rapidly growing in popularity, used a mains energized coil to produce the required magnetic field. To ensure optimum quality from the unit he had designed, Voigt coupled it to a horn loaded system embodying a tractrix loudspeaker designing.
In 1938, Donald Maynard Chave joined forces with Voigt to design of permanent magnets to replace the old wound-coil methods previously used.
The original Lowther horn loaded designs were created by Voight. He firmly believed that the audio spectrum should be covered by a single speech coil source. Lowther has never deviated from that principle, believing that reproduced sound lacks a degree of life when electronic filters are used.