The ubiquitous ‘Pye Plug,’ the brainchild of Pye design engineer George Baguely was produced in response to a request from fellow Pye radar engineer Donald (Bo) Jackson the eccentric but talented fellow Pye radar engineer.
The design which was first put into production in 1939 was specifically designed for use in early AI and ASV radar equipment where it enabled the configuration of coaxial cables to be changed swiftly between the various modules of radar equipment whilst safeguarding connector contact and undesirable HF mismatches which would increase return loss and hence sap reflected signals.
The first Pye connector was of the right-angle female type and was swiftly followed by the introduction of straight, T-piece and back-to-back connectors. This connector design saw extensive use in much contemporary military equipment, including the WS19 and of course the RAF’s GEE system to name but two uses.
Interestingly, in the post war period, this connector continued to be used by Pye Telecommunications on their entire range of radiotelephone equipment from introduction in 1946 until the retirement through obsolescence of Ranger equipment series during 1964.
Today, good examples of Pye connectors are sought by military radio collectors who are keep to restore classic examples of military equipment to their original status hence reversing the butchery applied to such equipment during the 1950s and 1960s.
Today, we offer a range of Pye connectors in all the configurations manufactured, some new, some ex-equipment with prices to suit all pockets and availability for all who may need them.