In January 1953, Mullard management got a letter of praise from Messrs. Cuttriss of 49 Frederick Street Birmingham, purveyors of fine electrical apparatus. This television and radio shop, nestling in the heart of Birmingham's jewellery quarter was well renowned for its wide ranging stock of the latest equipment. This area was home to over 3000 people within it's approximately 1 square mile area and today, still has the largest concentration of jewellery related businesses in Europe which produce 40% of all the jewellery made in the UK as well as being home to the world's largest Assay Office, which hallmarks around 12 million items a year.
With an affluent customer base and local community the area also attracted it's fair share of scoundrels too and It seems that some jolly naughty fellows hell bent on obtaining a telly for the coronation decided to nick a couple of swish receivers from Cuttriss' shop window in an unsuccessful midnight raid. It seems that the not inconsiderable weight of each television was too much for the thieves as they dumped them into the Birmingham and Frazeley canal from a canal bridge. The 30 foot fall caused an impressive splash and the barge running over one of the sets completely smashed the cabinet..... but..... the tubes and valves in the chassis of each set worked perfectly after drying them out hence the reason for the Cuttriss praise for Mullard products. Historical records unfortunately do not record whether or not the thieves were caught bang to rights, summoned before the beak and banged up in chokey!